Tuesday, January 16, 2007

One year of carbon

So I've planned my next holiday, after much research, indecision, and general um and ahhing, I've settled on Egypt for two weeks. I'm really looking forward to the sun and the beaches in particular. Its just way too grey here in London!

So as part of booking the trip I got directed to http://www.climatecare.org, a website that calculates your carbon emmissions and how much it would cost you to offset that (I assume by planting trees etc, didn't get that far through it). Apparently with all the travel I have clocked up I've used about 9.76 tonnes of CO2 which would cost 73quid to offset. Its a great idea but I feel like you aren't getting anything for it - and wouldn't it be better to promote ways of travelling that are not simply offsets (and allow you to consume without concern for what you are putting out, and worse, allows the rich to consume more). Therfore I propose that we all travel in Egypt by Donkey instead of bus, swim & walk instead of fly, and refrain from eating too many beans lest our methane emissions add to the global warming crises.

And crises it almost is, if you can imagine a crises of a warm winter in London. But I'm told it is highly unusual for a winter to be this warm. We have topped 10 degree celcius almost every day for a month now, except its more like 12 or 13. I am most disappointed in this global warming, which has robbed me of not only a white christmas but a proper cold winter as well. Though I suppose most UKeans don't mind the relatively warmer weather!

2 comments:

Stuffy said...

Dude! If you want a proper cold winter, come here! Edmonton won't let you down like nasty old London. -Steph (Anne's friend)

Michael said...

Haha I know! I think I might next year... This has been totally disappointing. It will probably only be proper cold when I am sweating in Egypt!