Tuesday, January 2, 2007

And they're off! 2007 takes the lead!

So,

Just got back this afternoon from New York and the so called best place to celebrate new years in the world. I'm a little bit tired and grumpy after my flight was delayed, meaning I spent 10 hours at airports (even had a 30 minute delay in getting my baggage at Heathrow!), and 7 hours on the plane. So I'll try and be as positive as I can!:

Wednesday 27th:
Need to leave earlier than I thought, race around packing at the last minute. Very unlike me to be this disorganised, it must have been the great Christmas orphans party we had at my place with Pete, Toni, Craig and Kim. Arrive in the late afternoon and get lost on subway not once but twice because I've been there before and don't need to look at the map. Get to what I think is my hostel. Turns out it actually is, which is lucky, because I couldn't find the bit of paper with the address or the name on it! Luckily it was on the same road as I stayed on in June and I had walked past it many times). Went out to Hoboken in New Jersey that night to have dinner with liz and her Friends who were having a birthday. Was a good meal that reminded me much of the Mexican cafe back in Auckland. The PATH train that goes under the harbour is incredibly deep. I wouldn't like to be caught under there.

Thursday 28th:
Liz and I walked across central park and went to the metropolitan museum of art. This was fantastic among the best was the sculptures removed from Egypt that were otherwise going to be flooded by the Aswan dam. We managed a few good bites here and there, and then did the Rockefeller Christmas tree which must surely be the biggest in the world, plus the Saks (I think?) Christmas displays and then the nativity in St Patricks. I also became the proud owner of a 5th ave towel (from the NBA store), my first major purchase. (Chicago Bulls of course!). This day was punctuated in a lesson on identity theft - apparently someone had hacked into Liz's AOL messenger and was talking to all her friends pretending to be her, either just fishing for information or just playing a rather OTT and nasty practical joke.

Friday:
Slept in. Times Square (like everyday!), picked up hockey tickets. Probably got lost on the subway again. I think went to a comedy show with Glenn and his friends this night or the night before. My memory is fading already.

Saturday:
Hello out there, we're on the air, its HOCKEY night tonight!
Yes it was the New York Rangers vs the Washington Capitals, live at Madison Square Gardens (what a phrase!). And what a game it was. I was about 10 seats to the left and 7 rows back from the goal. There were two goals right in front of us, plenty of good old fashioned stoushes and just an unbelievable atmosphere. This really was the highlight of the trip and I am so glad I went. After watching the Stanley cup through May and June, this game lived right up to that level, it was intense and hard fought, even though the Rangers had a solid 3-0 lead at one point. The fighting was incredible. What I don't remember from the SC is that the umpires just stand there and only break up a fight if they fall over or one gets shoved against a wall. A one on one fight while both players are still standing is fair game!!! I couldn't imagine that in rugby, it just wouldn't happen, but then I guess rugby players have less gear on and are freer to do a lot more damage. I also met up with Katie, Josh and Bree. Apparently the whole idea of going to NY for new years was a drunken promise we made at last years new years somewhere in between the road cricket/blocks/fires and jelly wrestling. I don't actually remember it but its pretty cool that we made it!

Sunday:
Caught the ferry to Staten Island. Nearly got into a whole lot of Hijinks when we figured out how to sneak into the ballpark that overlooks the harbour to Manhattan (Its an awesome location!), but thought better of it when we realised the police station is across the road and their number one hobby is to shoot moving targets. (Nevertheless, the temptation to do a home run was strong, and one of these days I'll figure out how to play some cricket at Lords). We also saw the World Trade Centre Site which is getting fairly well developed though it is still mostly a major hole in the ground.

And of course, This was the big day, the day the ball dropped and we rang in the new year with a million other people in Times Square. So we walked up from my hostel (who graciously put on a free dinner), from 30th street all the way up 8th ave to 59th street, where we charged through the police barriers, survived the searches, and then made our way back down to 51st. We were eventually let into the section for 50th street, but couldn't quite see the buildings where the ball would drop.

Now unfortunately here's where I have to give NYC a caning for what was a shoddily organised event that for me was fairly disappointing in terms of it just not reaching its potential. Perhaps my expectations were too high but here is how I saw it:

Supposedly 1 million people attend, year after year, and NYC wanted to regain the top spot after Las Vegas has held it the previous few years (being the best new years celebrations that is). Now the logistics of it are massive, and the NYPD did their finest indeed and that was great. I certainly wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a mob of people trying to push their way into Times Square! Knowing that 1 million people attend, you would think that they would all be included in the celebrations, but no, you have to squeeze into Times Square around 6pm with no food, drinks or toilets, and stay there in the freezing cold until midnight. You can't leave your "pen" as you wont be allowed back in.

So here's a few simple improvements they could make for next year:
  • Put TV screens and (most importantly) Speakers on every corner and CRANK up the volume so people north of 45th can actually see and hear what is going on up there.
  • Confetti Confetti Confetti! More of it, and off every building on Broadway so everyone gets some.
  • Portaloos, Hello!!!
  • Let in food and drink!
  • Publicise the event and whats happening when and where and how to get to the best spot. (The only information we could find was based on last years event)
  • Fireworks, more please (we couldn't see them anyway, but I'm sure they can crank them off the top of every building instead of just a couple in Times Square!).
  • Actually do something awesome, like, where were the fighter jets screaming up broadway on the stroke of midnight??!!
  • Drop the Ball, properly. NYC really did drop the ball in terms of organisation, but I'd like to see the ball dropped from a great height and left to SMASH into the ground proper. Not this slidy-idly thing that it does. (What a boring tradition really!)

Anyway, despite NYC dropping the ball in terms of their event management, it was still an awesome night and just crazy to be in amongst all those people and just to experience New York in that way.

Monday:

Still feels like today except now its tuesday. Delays and breakdowns were the story of my trip home. We managed a great feed at the New York Hard Rock cafe, then walked across to the NBC studios and had a look at thier shop. I made it to JFK about 4pm (plane was delayed, everyone was shattered, so everyone was sleeping on the ground - cold hard marble tiles) and eventually left about 4am on the plane. Thankfully slept most of the 7 hour flight and made it through immigration no problemo. They seem to like that I work for a bank. The questioning seems to stop once I say that. Then the baggage thing broke down to add to my delays, as if I hadn't spent enough time sleeping at airports like a homeless person!

And here I am, about to go to be before I fall asleep at the controls of my computer!

No comments: