Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Egypt Photos!

I've been slammed dunked with Giardia and admittedly its going to take me ages to get my photos up, but here are six of the best for the record, to prove that I really did go to Egypt!


This first one is of me in front of 3 ancient structures. From memory they are called "the Pyramids", or something like that.


This next one is of me standing on one of the aforementioned "Pyramids". It is the middle one I am standing on.



Here I am in front of the home of "the Sphinx". It used to be called the Lynx, but a translation glitch caused the misspelling. Strangely, the curse of misunderstanding passed to a group of Asian girls who accosted me for photos of a real cowboy in front of the pyramids. Yes and you can find my camel over there thanks!



Below is me in front of Abu Simbel, blocking the sun from shining directly down the tunnel onto the statues at the end. (Not the big ones you can see!) Apparently the ancient Egyptians moved these statues and the entire mountain they were carved into to a higher spot in anticipation of the High Dam causing Lake Nasser to flood the area.



Below is a felucca, the type of boat we sailed up the Nile on. Apparently many lookers have fallen off them.





And finally the temple of Hatshepsut, the massive 3 level wardrobe of hats built for the Pharaoh who just couldn't have enough. It wasn't long after that Egypt had its treasures stolen by various invading empires. (including all the Hats She Put in this temple). Hats are no good for defending a country, what can you do? "Halt! Or I'll, I'll... I'll throw my hat at you!!"


Assuming the Giardia clears up in time, I'll be in Dublin this Saturday for St Patricks Day. Fingers crossed otherwise I might finally have to claim something on my insurance!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yah Photos...a story with pictures always seem more interesting.... we all children at heart.

Time and Tide said...

Mike, Its great to see some photos of you at last. It looks like you had a great trip to ancient Egypt. I am jealous. Love dad